Shive Elementary Title 1 Program
What is Title I ?
Title I is a federal program that provides extra money to schools to help all students get a good education and meet academic standards.
Schools with 35% or more of its students eligible for free or reduced price lunch qualify for the Title I services.
A SCHOOLWIDE Title I program allows schools that qualify to use Title I money to pay for more educational programs for the whole school. All the elementary schools in the Rowan-Salisbury School System are SCHOOLWIDE TITLE I PROGRAM schools.
A SCHOOLWIDE Title I program generally follows these steps:
1. A needs assessment - School staff, teachers and parents see what is needed for all the students to meet education standards.
2. Planning - This involves deciding how to best meet the needs shown in the assessment.
3. Professional development - For example, teachers may receive training for helping students with specific learning needs.
4. Getting resources in place -These may include teacher assistants, computers in classrooms, or other resources
5. Yearly reviews - School staff, teachrs and parents see if there has been improvement in students’ skills. If not, they may seek changes in the program.
As a parent, you have the right to request information about the qualifications of your child’s teacher.
Parents have the right to see yearly “report cards” showing how their child and the school are preforming under the schoolwide Title I program.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT SCHOOLWIDE PROGRAMS, CONTACT:
Zebbie Bondurant, Shive Principal, email@example.com, or Erik Stubblefield, Shive Assistant Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-279-2899, or fax 704-279-0499
Alesia Burnette, Director of School Improvement and Title I, email@example.com or phone 704-630-6110
Dixie Dalton, Title I Parent Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 704-630-6106
Successful schoolwide Title I programs are the result of schools and parents working together!
The following documents are of particular interest to parents concerning our Title 1 program at Shive: