Rockwell School, built in 1928, consolidated eighteen one and two room schools in eastern Rowan County, North Carolina. It housed grades 1-12 until 1959, when Rockwell and Granite Quarry High consolidated to form East Rowan High School. This left Rockwell with Grades 1-8. In 1967, Erwin Junior High School opened to serve grades 7-9 leaving Rockwell housing grades 1-6. In 1973, Kindergarten was added making Rockwell a K-6 school. This configuration lasted until 1990 when Rowan County adopted its current K-5 elementary structure. Today, Rockwell houses nearly 26 K-5 classrooms, and has a dedicated staff that serves a student population of almost 525 students. Like in the past, Rockwell has strong ties to its community and enjoys the constant support given by its PTA, parents, churches and nearby businesses.