The first high school to be built in Rowan County in over 45 years, Jesse C. Carson High School (JCHS) opened in the fall of 2006, a product of Rowan County's 2002 Bond Referendum. Symbolized by four stars on the school's logo, JCHS, brings together students from four of Rowan County's five existing high schools: South Rowan, East Rowan, West Rowan and Salisbury High Schools. With a current capacity of 1200 students, 973 formed the first student body to be served by this state-of-the-art facility, with an additional "shell" structure that will expand the capacity of students to 1500. JCHS is named in memory of former Rowan County School Superintendent Jesse C. Carson. Mr. Carson served as superintendent from 1965-1971 and led the district through the difficulties of desegregation. Mr. Carson's guidance of the school system through the complexity of racial equality in Rowan County brought him respect and admiration from both sides of the issue.