Open House will be on August 22nd from 4:00-6:00 (drop-in)
In 1917, Granite Quarry Elementary got its meager beginnings as a three room grammar school. This school served students from first grade up to seventh until 1924. Two sections of this former school are located one block west of our current building. At this time, those who attended Granite had to find another school for their high school education; which included Faith, Rockwell, or Salisbury. September 9, 1925 was a joyous occasion as the grammar school became a high school serving grades one through eleven; a senior class wasn’t added until 1945. Residents were proud of this new two story brick building which was the first accredited high school in Rowan County.
The PTA spent many hours and resources to improve the school, and their first project was to build a library. They started with very few books, with the State’s supplement, aids, and hard work they were able to fit the elementary with thirty eight hundred books and three thousand for the high school. They continued to work hard to provide a safe learning environment for their children and were able to help the school acquire many supplies and equipment to flourish.
It continued to grow and in 1959 East Rowan High School opened and Granite Quarry began serving grades one through eight. Not far behind, Erwin Junior High opened in 1967 and Granite served grades one through six. Currently, Granite Quarry Elementary serves Pre Kindergarten through fifth grade. In 1945 the high school picked the dragon as their mascot and we continue to be proud Granite Quarry Dragons!